Wednesday, October 02, 2002

Yesterday was amazing. I made the trek to Glasgow around 16:00 made the walk from the station to the Barrowlands. Well, I didn't start to the Barrowlands right off. I was hungry, so I kept my eyes open for a place to eat. Lo and behold, I found a Pizza Hut. It was a little expensive, but it was so worth it.

Afterwards, I kept walking and found myself at an HMV. Simply heaven...

I got to the Barrowlands around 18:00, which was way to early. One of the security people suggested I go to the pub next door, but to "be careful." With that ominous warning, I didn't know what to expect. As it turns out, the place was just Celtic territory, covered wall-to-wall with green. I ordered a pint of Tennants and relaxed for thirty minutes, before heading back to the Barrowlands.

A little after 18:30, I got in line. Doors weren't to open until 19:30, but actually opened a little after 19:00. When I got inside, I was floored. The place was gigantic. I headed up to the front of the stage to stake my spot.

I stood through a guy named Chris T-T, who wasn't horrible, but then Ben came on and had the audience wrapped around his finger. Neil from Divine Comedy came out towards the end and the two of them did a piano and guitar version of "Mess" that was amazing.

Afterwards, Divine Comedy came on and tore the place down. I have new found respect for them. Towards the end of their set, Ben came back down and played drums for one of their songs. Totally cool.

After DC finished, it was time for the encore. What better way to end the evening than to bring the piano back out and have Ben and Neil trade back and forth on each other's songs. The best was "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head." But, hearing "Brick" live with a full-band was amazing as well.

After the show, I was nearly late getting back. I bumped into Anna and Darren. They were both going to wait for Ben as well. Our train was leaving at 23:48, but Ben didn't come out until 23:40. I feel like a jerk because I kind of ran up to him and asked for his autograph on my ticket, but I explained that even though I'm a big fan, I'm not enough of one to warrant sleeping on a park bench if had to miss the last train. He was cool about it, but I still feel like and ass. I'll make it up to him next time. :)

Got home around 1:00 and went to a chip shop for something quick to eat. Didn't get to bed until around 4:00, but it didn't matter, I had a great time.


Post a Comment

<< Home